Thursday, April 9, 2015

Get some headspace

I first learned about Andy Puddicombe through a conference by Dan Harris at Google (see bellow) where he explains as a regular guy his journey from an skeptic to a meditation and mindfulness promoter. Dan's businessmen style was very different from the stereotype of the 60's psychedelic hippy. I have considered meditation for quite a while but never take the initiative.

My first approach was to try Headspace app in my phone. A 10-minute 10-day introduction ended up being promising. Since I like to dig into the theory and the story of the author, I found "Get some Headspace" very appealing.

In his book, Andy Puddicombe, explains how he left his life in California to become a Buddhist Monk, a trip that is less unusual than I thought, but popularized by Steve Jobs biographers. Contrary to extreme cases, some as radical as Michael Roach and Ian Thorson, Andy's priorities are the day to day lives.

Andy Poodicombe's goal for the book is "demystify meditation and make it accessible and relevant to as many people as possible".

I found Headspace very interesting, indeed Andy's learning struggle didn't deter me from going on. The book supplements the app by giving a thorough explanation of the rationale and history behind Andy's model. For a Frontal-Left like me he supports his teaching with extensive research about the benefits of meditation and mindfulness. He synthesized years of training and practice in a technique that is suited for people in modern settings who can't (are not willing to) step back and regroup.

The second part of Get Some Headspace is a more in depth explanation of the "Take-10" program. It touches base on how the benefits of meditation affect other areas of life, like work, sleep, food, relationships, etc.

Finally a summary of some clinical cases exemplify the power but paced process of change through mindfulness.

Overall Get Some Headspace is about being in peace with ones thoughts and emotions. contrary to common believes , meditation is not about a clearing the mind, or silencing thoughts. Meditation is about the skill needed to step aside without getting involved.

I'm not sure how far I will get, at least this time I feel I found a mentor to accompany me on this quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment